LLTI Archives

September 2000, Week 2

From:
Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 2000 14:54:47 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Rodney Tamblyn <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 10:13:28 +1200
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Rodney Tamblyn <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5671katakana / hiragana software

------------------
Barbara,

One possibility, depending on the level of sophistication of your HyperCard stacks, would be to convert them to Metacard http://www.metacard.com.  Metacard is a HyperCard-like environment, but it runs on Macs, PCs, and Unix computers.  It is under active development (ie bugs get fixed) and a new version of Metacard with a nice authoring environment called Runtime Revolution is coming out shortly (see http://www.runrev.com in a few weeks, they are creating the new web site at the moment).

Metacard opens HyperCard stacks, and the scripting languages are largely compatible (although Metacard's scripting language is much more extensive than HyperCard).  Metacard is $500 US per annum to licence, this fee entitles access to all platforms Mac/PC/Unix.  A current licence entitles you to use the latest version, however if you allow your licence to lapse you can continue to use the version that was current at the time your licence expired.

Of course, I would not necessarily recommend just converting old software, but if you feel that the software you have meets an ongoing pedagogical/teaching need, using Metacard will allow you to give new life to your old HyperCard programs.

Please contact me if you need assistance with this.

Regards,

Rodney

>--- Forwarded Message from barbara sawhill <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
>>Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 17:17:01 -0400
>>From: barbara sawhill <[log in to unmask]>
>>Subject: katakana / hiragana software
>>Originator-info: login-id=psawhill; server=mail.oberlin.edu
>>To: [log in to unmask]
>
>Our Japanese faculty have decided that our old hypercard programs that once
>allowed students to review their knowledge of  katakana and hiragana are no
>longer suitable.  (Basically: they don't work...So much for OS 9 and
>Hypercard)
>
>I am wondering if there are any suggestions for inexpensive Japanese
>language software that can run on OS 9 (or NT) that might fill the void.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Barbara
>

>Barbara Sawhill
>Director
>Cooper International Learning Center (The Language Lab)
>Peters Hall
>Oberlin College
>50 North Professor Street
>Oberlin, Ohio 44074
>
>phone: 440-775-8595
>fax 440-775-6888

Rodney Tamblyn
Educational Media group
Higher Education Development Centre, 75 Union Place
University of Otago, PO Box 56, Dunedin, New Zealand
ph +64 3 479 7580 Fax +64 3 479 8362