LLTI Archives

September 2000, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 08:30:50 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Ross, Andrew" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Ross, Andrew" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "'Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum'"     <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: #5688 Suggestions for a new server?
>Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 11:58:46 -0400

------------------
Hi, Chajia:

If you're using all Apple machines in your lab, it might make sense to have
an Apple server -- running either AppleShare IP or OSX Server.  Both OS's
use a GUI -- graphic user interface, and are more robust than WindowsNT.  We
spec'ed out a 100+ GB server for our lab at around $10,000.00 -- G4 500MHz,
1 GB RAM, etc.  If you're only serving audio files, you can probably get
away with less space, provided you've got some means of archiving your audio
(CD or tape backup).  We use MP3s -- there are a number of inexpensive audio
editing tools (for clipping and compressing) on the market.

If I can provide more info off-list, please don't hesitate to contact me.

a.

Andrew F. Ross, Ph.D
Director, Multimedia Language Lab
G15 Puryear Hall
University of Richmond,  VA   23173
Tel: (804) 287-6838

"Worrying about a large institution, especially when it has computers,
is like worrying about a large gorilla, especially when it's on fire."
-- Bruce Sterling