LLTI Archives

August 2000, Week 5

From:
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 08:42:30 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Lauren Rosen Yeazel <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Subject: Re: #5661Using technology to save $$ and to revolutionize learning
>Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 13:45:43 -0500
>From: Lauren Rosen Yeazel <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "LLTI message" <[log in to unmask]>

Interesting question Rachel.

My first reaction was NO, not in first year. Then I stepped back and
decided to think a little creatively as we have the opposite problem of
not enough students in the LCTL's to sustain courses on some of our UW
campuses. We have been using ITV to deliver these languages but it can
get very expensive.

So you asked for thoughts. I took a quick look at the FL National
Standards executive summary which I keep close at hand. It seems to me
that if we are looking for language proficiency through the 11 content
standards presented in this document under the umbrella of the 5 C's,
there are really only the 3 under communication that are, IMHO, not
possible through computer technology. Of course these 3 are often the
ways we use to have students demonstrate their proficiency in the other 4
C's and they are ultimately the most important and useful for students to
take with them when they are in the international workplace or overseas.
So, for some LCTLs I wouldn't recommend it. Language acquisition research
already shows that students find  it requires more time to learn certain
skills in those languages because of complexities that they don't face
with the romance languages (ie. verbal skills often come before written
rather than side by side).

What I would wonder, and it might be a good experiment/dissertation, is
to offer every other day classroom work and computer-based learning on
the out of classroom days. In doing this, you could potentially have the
TA teach the same thing twice (ie. Mon. & Tues.) and split the classes in
half. The TA's would still have a larger number of students but they
would meet with them at separate times so the class size itself doesn't
grow. This would allow the students communication time and they would be
able to demonstrate their grasp of the other 4C's (learned in the
computer sessions) through whatever in class performance assessment the
instructor wants. The computer sessions would have to be very focused and
well organized to ensure that students are meeting the learning goals set
forth and that they are acquiring the abilities and knowledge outlined in
the standards.

Just a thought. I'd love to hear feedback, arguments, etc. from anyone
willing to offer them.

Lauren Rosen
Collaborative Language Program Coordinator
University of Wisconsin
618 Van Hise Hall
1220 Linden Drive
Madison, WI  53706