LLTI Archives

August 2000, Week 5

From:
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 08:42:01 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Michael Dillon <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date:         Fri, 25 Aug 2000 14:39:21 -0400
>From: Michael Dillon <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      Re: #5661Using technology to save $$ and to revolutionize learning
>To: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
>cc: Michael Dillon <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Dear colleagues and friends.-
I am really glad that Dr. Saury brought out the eternal dilemma between
using technology, saving money and improving language education. As far I
know, language classes are different from other classes as math or physics,
not only because you can learn math by yourself or using the computer, but
becausethe main reason that you are learning another language is in order
TO COMMUNICATE WITH PEOPLE not with computers or calculators. Now most of
the students prefer to use MULTIMEDIA rather than talk with a foreign
student (native speaker) who is sitting next to them, trying to learn
english. I think in order to improve our language classes we have to
integrate more native speakers, make real conversation clubs (not clubs
that meet one time per week and they cook), I am talking about having  3
little groups (5 or 6 people in each group) with one native speaker. All of
these groups would be under the supervision of a professor who is in charge
of creating activites and clarifying some questions (I am pretty sure that
in every university there are native speakers who want to help). Also I
want to point out that I am not against technology or computer labs
(actually I was working in one), I just want to say that maybe we have to
use this technology in order to FACILITATE COMMUNICATION WITH PEOPLE. I
have heard that chat rooms produce great learning effects in students.
Thanks for reading my comments, I will be glad to hear yours