LLTI Archives

August 2000, Week 4

From:
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 12:59:36 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Rachel Saury <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 09:00:01 -0400
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Rachel Saury <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Using technology to save $$ and to revolutionize learning

------------------
Dear colleagues and friends,

I have an interesting nut for everyone to chew on.  It is a commonly
expressed view in our field that the new digital technologies are primarily
being used within a curricular model that differs little from when we
relied on analog technologies.  This manifests as students primarily
listening to digitized audiotapes and video with some recording of their
it is still within the traditional classroom structure: students meeting in
class 3-5 hours/week (depending upon the level) with a single instructor
with homework assignments, both written and oral, to be done at home and in
the lab.  It is interesting to note that the report from the Mellon
Foundation in 1998 after years of funding foreign language instructional
technology projects, came to the conclusion that making the leap into using
the technology in ways that could truly cut costs is challenging.

I have been intrigued by Virginia Tech's Math Emporium model.  About four
years ago, VA Tech decided that they needed a more cost-effective way to
deliver basic math instruction.  They dismantled the traditional structure
of the class, with students meeting in large lecture halls with a single
instructor--usually a TA under the supervision of a full-time faculty
member.  They purchased an old Rose's building (Rose's is a southern
version of K-Mart), installed a few hundred computers in various
configurations and groupings to allow for individual, paired and group
work, created learning modules, and restructured the commitment of faculty
and TA time.  Students primarily did their work using the computer-based
learning modules.  They had paired and group projects and could also choose
to go to lectures on various areas of mathematics, if they felt they needed
extra help.  Faculty members and TAs held their "office hours" in the lab
and were available to tutor students.  Small group sessions with
instructors were also scheduled for group discussion and questions.

Here at UVA, the Spanish Dept. is facing a crisis:  enrollments in first
year Spanish are up, with the result that each class has 30 students with
one instructor.  There is no end in sight in terms of enrollment, but
funding for more TAs is not keeping up with demand.  I have been
considering whether the Math Emporium model could be applied creatively to
foreign languages in such a way that students could actually get more
one-on-one tutoring, more opportunities for communication with an
instructor and with other students, and more drilling and rote pratice to
reinforce grammatical forms and vocabulary.  In the end, I don't think what
students would learn in terms of quantity or quality would be
sacrificed.  But I do think that learning could be more dynamic, with
students being exposed to more varied communicative contexts and
opportunities than in the current structure.

I would be interested in your ideas and thoughts.  Are there any programs
out there right now that are trying this out?  Do you think this could
work?  If so, how?  Can you refer me to any sources?

Thanks!

Rachel Saury

Rachel E. Saury, Ph.D.
Director, Arts & Sciences Center for Instructional Technologies
P.O. Box 400784
University of Virginia
Charlottesville, VA 22904-4784
(804) 924-6847 ph.