LLTI Archives

August 2000, Week 1

From:
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 2000 08:52:18 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Richard Feldman <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 12:22:51 -0400
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Richard Feldman <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Permission for online delivery

------------------
Like most publishers these days, we are receiving more and more requests
for permission to make materials available to students online, usually with
time and access restrictions.  At the same time we are making such
requests.  I am wondering what a standard arrangement for this might be.
There are several issues: 1) preparing the digitized form of the material,
often in a variety of formats; 2) granting permission to put that material
online; 3) limiting online access in various ways.
Digitizing requires a fair amount of work, depending on the quality of the
job, the size of the files (smaller is easier to access, but more work),
and the number of formats.  For an adequate format, size and quality, the
work only needs to be done once, but it should be compensated.
Online distribution gives more power to the local distributor and
potentially exposes the author to greater risk of infringement of
copyright.  It also allows us to achieve our mission more
effectively.  Should online permission also be compensated beyond cassette
copying permission?
Limitations should be clear and well understood.  Publishers may often be
able to check that these limitations are being respected (by trying to
access the files remotely).
What is people's experience as far as additional price (if any) for the
digitized version and then for the permission, and what standard
limitations are made?