LLTI Archives

July 2000, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 13:49:42 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Leslie Graul <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 13:20:18 -0400
>From: Leslie Graul <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum     <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5624 satellite purchase questions

Hi, Mary Beth.  I want to add a couple of remarks to what Monica said in her
response:

Equipment & subscription costs--Approximate cost of purchase of equipment
and various subscriptions:

   *  SCOLA's affiliation fees are not so expensive compared to other
     services if you are a small school since they are based on your
     institution's enrollment and how many of their three channels you want
     to receive.   The money spent is well worth it.  Their technical
     support is excellent, should you experience any difficulties with your
     equipment or signal.  The variety of countries whose news broadcasts
     are available on Channel I is greater than anywhere else.  Channels II
     and III provide language courses and variety programming.  SCOLA
     provinces a lot of other services, too, via the web pages, such as
     transcriptions, translations, glossaries and questions for short
     segments of some news broadcasts (France, Germany, China, etc.), all
     kinds of statistics about the countries whose broadcasts we can receive
     (population, health, political, governmental, economic, historic, etc.)
   * I prefer these broadcasts to those on the International Channel because
     there is no American advertising, and reportedly no control of their
     broadcasts by outside sources.  Some of the broadcasts are even a good
     source of foreign language commercials.
   * SCOLA responds to its affiliates' programming wishes whenever possible.
   *
   * When our college tried to purchase a fixed dish in order to subscribe
     to TV 5 and a number of Spanish language networks via Dish Latino, one
     local vendor refused to sell it to an educational institution.  Another
     local vendor would sell us one, but would charge a good deal more than
     what home owners pay.  That is because vendors make their money from
     the subscriptions to the packages that are sold; the educational
     packages we purchase don't give them much revenue.
   * I also learned that TV-5 can not be received via the same dish as most
     of the other foreign language broadcasts.  To be able to switch back
     and forth between French Canadian and Latino broadcasts, we had to
     purchase two dishes. These two, and a good receiver (can be set to
     record programs according to the broadcast rather than during a
     specific period of time), installed, came to $700.  Licensing Dish
     Latino ($299) and TV 5 ($100) costs a total of $300 annually.
   * We can attach as many as three more receivers, for about $150 each, to
     be able to watch a total of four different broadcasts simultaneously.
   * We can subscribe to other networks and receive other foreign language
     broadcasts, if desired.

 Good luck in making your selection........Leslie Graul

   *