LLTI Archives

July 2000, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 12:35:16 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Monika Dressler <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 15:39:05 -0400
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Monika Dressler <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5624 satellite purchase questions

Michigan currently has a variety of strategies:
A. SCOLA which is *much* too expensive, for what its worth;  if we could find a broadcaster of Hebrew and Russian programming, I would get rid of SCOLA immediately  [Any one have any suggestions??? I would be grateful!!]
B. Subscriptions through Dish Network for 24 hour broadcasting;  They have different stations available: Italian, Arabic, French, Hindi, Greek&Croatian, Japanese, Asian&SEAsian, etc.  Each run $100-$200/year.  The infrastructure for a single dish and receiver is minimal [18"dish and receiver-$275, roof mount-$80, misc.materials-$19, labor-$250].  Multiple concurrently broadcast stations require more receivers, a switcher, and various amps, more labor costs for installation, and additional yearly subscription fees, etc. -- all of that (approximately, $4000 total for an additional 6 stations) together is STILL less than the fees for the single SCOLA feed!!
C. Deutsche Welle, which just costs us equipment maintenance.
D. In addition, the local cable system offers the International Channel as part of its basic package, so we don't even bother trying to duplicate something that everyone already gets.

Staffing Issues:
This depends on what services you want to offer.  Some of the DishNetwork stations allow off-"air" taping and rebroadcast over a closed-circuit campus cable system.  We do have someone on staff who is available to program the vcrs to tape programs the faculty request,  but the work is minimal.  As for maintenance, we pay the local microwave communication company $875 to do all of it for us.  It's a lot of money, but then we don't need to mess with it.

Faculty Commitment:
Isn't this *always* the key question??
We have certain faculty members who would die without their weekly (sometimes daily) recordings of their programs [thus, the ungodly amount we pay to SCOLA just to get Hebrew].
There are a good deal more who like the idea of having it available to them, in case they want it.
There are others who lobbied strongly to get a certain station, and now never use it.
The most important thing for us, however, is that the DEAN likes the idea that these programs are available to the students.  Internationalization, globalization, and all that!!  So.... what the Dean wants, the Dean gets.

Viewing Areas:
Michigan's infra-structure isn't bad.  It allows for a variety of viewing possibilities:
We have video-stations where students can sit down in the Center and watch the satellite stations that we are rebroadcasting over the channels the LRC has on the campus cable system.
Those rebroadcasted channels also go via the campus cable system into all dorm rooms and lounges, some classrooms, and even some meeting rooms and lobbies.
We also have the satellite feeds and campus cable system available in the LRC's video viewing room for entire classes to watch [We have one lecturer who brings his classes down to watch the Tour de France
and those of you who were at MWALL last fall will remember that the campus cable system also has regular TV... we saw the great Michigan-Michigan State football game (State won, by the way).]
And, as mentioned above, faculty can request video tapes of programs in advance.

Internet Capabilities:
This ultimately depends on what the faculty want students to do with the programming.
If they just want students to be exposed to the material, internet access with all of its difficiencies may be fine.
Some of our instructors, however, want to be able to do more involved lessons; others feel that a clear video picture is critical and unwilling to accept web-broadcast quality.  For all of them, videotape really is the only  option we can provide.
If you can find out what your faculty want to do, you'll be a lot closer to determining a price tag.

Hope there's something of use in all my ramblings!!!
Moni

Monika R. Dressler, Ph.D.
Director of the Language Resource Center
University of Michigan
2018 Modern Languages Building
Ann Arbor, MI  48109-1275

http://www.umich.edu/~langres/