LLTI Archives

July 2000, Week 2

From:
Date:
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 14:26:12 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Mary Beth Barth <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 08:48:33 -0400 (EDT)
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: Mary Beth Barth <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: satellite purchase questions

Hi,

I have just been asked to look into the cost of acquiring satellite
capabilities.  I'm interested in *ballpark* figures for the following for a
preliminary meeting which was just called for his week. I'll have time to
research more thoroughly later. Here are the issues I'd like to bring up at
the meeting:

Equipment & subsciption costs--Approximate cost of purchase of equipment
and various subscriptions

Staffing issues--what sort of time commitment is required for programming,
recording,maintenance etc.

Faculty commitment--what time commitment is required of faculty to prepare
materials for class use?

Viewing areas--  Do students use these on their own (and benefit) or does
it require integration by the faculty?

Internet capabilities--is it logical to make this move now with foreign
language news etc available over the internet?

Thanks for any insights on any of the above.

Mary Beth Barth
Hamilton College
Clinton, New York
(315)859-4776