LLTI Archives

July 2000, Week 1

From:
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 08:14:21 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Cahill, Linda E." <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Cahill, Linda E." <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "'Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum'"     <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: #5617 Issue for Lab Directors
>Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 15:37:44 -0400

------------------
1. I think it depends on whether or not you install stability-security
hardware/software, such as Fortres or Centurion. We use Centurion, which
wipes clean and restores our systems each time they're rebooted. We have
another lab without Centurion and it has been a nightmare as long as it has
been in existence. We have had to upgrade the PCs twice (three new sets of
PCs) in the last year. We set up a new 30-station lab almost exactly a year
ago, and the systems (and peripherals) with Centurion are working perfectly
and show no signs of tiring (Dell 450s). My guess is that we'll go about two
more years, as long as we have fast, reliable access to our word processing,
spreadsheet, and presentation software. (We also have an Ethernet connection
for Internet, a Novelle server for the printer and some proprietary
instructional software, and a 14-bay Meridian CD server.)