LLTI Archives

July 2000, Week 1

From:
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 08:10:36 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "David Pankratz" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 11:06:49 -0500
>From: "David Pankratz" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5616  Tenth Anniversary of LLTI Today!

------------------
Otmar,

There are what I sometimes think of as "idea people" on the one hand, and "follow-through" people on the other. Both types are very valuable to an organization, and yet in my experience, there are few people who fill both pairs of shoes. You are one of those rare people, in my humble opinion, who demonstrate both qualities. The work you have done for LLTI is significant not only because was it a great idea, but because it has been a reliable and well-managed service for so long. Along with the usefulness of the day-to-day _moderated_ discussions, the archive is an astounding resource that is very unique.

Thank you sincerely for this service to us as individuals and to the IALL organization (International Association for Language Learning Technology). It has made us all better at what we do.

David Pankratz

>>Today, June 28, 2000, marks the tenth anniversary of LLTI. It was on this day
exactly ten years ago that I sent an email message to David Avery here at
Dartmouth College asking him to set up a listserv mechanism to be called  LLTI.
We started on a mainframe CMS machine and have now graduated to a small
dual-processor Pentium box that handles about 40 lists that have their home here
at Dartmouth College

Today our membership is  close to 1400. A large majority of members comes from
the ".edu" domain (more than 55%), followed by subscribers from the ".net"
domain, followed by subscribers from the ".ca" (Canada) domain. Subscribers from
".org,", ".com," and ".mil" make up about about 7%. The remaining subscribers
come from 36 countries and make up about 30 percent of membership. Some
subscribers still have bitnet addresses that I cannot clearly identify without
investing a large amount of time.

LLTI is a successful list because all of you have been contributing over the
years. Our archive contains enormous amounts of information on issues concerning
our profession. Our sponsors - Dartmouth College, IALL (The International
Association for Language Learning Technology), and the Consortium for Language
Teaching and Learning - have been generous in providing time, funds, and
technology over the last ten years.

Editing this list is a daily pleasure for me. There are very few lists in this
world where information is shared so generously among colleagues. I look forward
to at least another ten years of working with all of you!

Otmar Foelsche (LLTI-editor)

Dartmouth College

______________________

David Pankratz
Director, Language Learning Resource Center
Modern Languages & Literatures Department
Loyola University Chicago
6525 N. Sheridan Road
Chicago, IL 60626

Email: [log in to unmask]