LLTI Archives

June 2000, Week 5

From:
Date:
Thu, 29 Jun 2000 09:21:14 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Nina Garrett <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:37:51 -0400
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Nina Garrett <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5616  Tenth Anniversary of LLTI Today!

Congratulations, Otmar!  That's a real milestone.  CALL wouldn't be the same
(or nearly as well-advanced a field) without LLTI, and we all owe you an
enormous debt of gratitude for making it so successful.  Long may you --
and it
-- continue!!

        Best,
                Nina

At 08:36 AM 6/28/2000 -0400, you wrote:

> Today, June 28, 2000, marks the tenth anniversary of LLTI. It was on this
day
> exactly ten years ago that I sent an email message to David Avery here at
> Dartmouth College asking him to set up a listserv mechanism to be called
> LLTI. We started on a mainframe CMS machine and have now graduated to a
small
> dual-processor Pentium box that handles about 40 lists that have their home
> here at Dartmouth College
>
> Today our membership is  close to 1400. A large majority of members comes
> from the ".edu" domain (more than 55%), followed by subscribers from the
> ".net" domain, followed by subscribers from the ".ca" (Canada) domain.
> Subscribers from ".org,", ".com," and ".mil" make up about about 7%. The
> remaining subscribers come from 36 countries and make up about 30 percent of
> membership. Some subscribers still have bitnet addresses that I cannot
> clearly identify without investing a large amount of time.
>
> LLTI is a successful list because all of you have been contributing over the
> years. Our archive contains enormous amounts of information on issues
> concerning our profession. Our sponsors - Dartmouth College, IALL (The
> International Association for Language Learning Technology), and the
> Consortium for Language Teaching and Learning - have been generous in
> providing time, funds, and technology over the last ten years.
>
> Editing this list is a daily pleasure for me. There are very few lists in
> this world where information is shared so generously among colleagues. I
look
> forward to at least another ten years of working with all of you!
>
> Otmar Foelsche (LLTI-editor)
> Dartmouth College

Nina Garrett
Director of Language Study