LLTI Archives

June 2000, Week 4

From:
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 13:33:33 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 09:46:20 -0400
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5607.7 Private Pronunciation (!)

------------------
David Pankratz noted:

<<In my experience there are some, perhaps many students who feel
self-conscious doing oral practice in a public space, and would rather not
be heard by others. ... If you can find ways to make the students more
comfortable about doing their oral drills, that helps also. One way is to
simply tell students during orientations to the lab that this is indeed
normal in this environment, and that nobody will be bothered by their oral
practice.>>

Good point! But having an acoustically quiet booth and room helps confirm
the "normalness" of speaking aloud by preventing the speakers from actually
bothering others. People do need to concentrate and hearing sounds from
others disturbs that. Our lab moved a few years ago from a noisy room to a
quieter room, and the difference was noticeable even though we kept the same
carpeted booths.
There are times when maximum soundprooofing is important, e.g. during a
speaking test. Usually people taking the test are very nervous and even if
you warn them that everyone will be speaking all at once, it's hard for them
to concentrate when they hear everyone else speaking, too; also, some of
them worry that their mikes will pick up others' voices and that they need
to shout to make the recording.

Judy Shoaf
Language Learning Center