LLTI Archives

June 2000, Week 4

From:
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 2000 08:36:59 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 07:55:33 -0600
>From: Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]>
>To: LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5607.1 Private Pronunciation (!)

Minimizing sound reflections and echos in the room can help.
Installing carpet on the floor and acoustic surfaces or panels on the
walls and ceiling can make a big difference.   Eliminate hard
surfaces in the carrels as much as possible.

Derek

> --- Forwarded Message from Daniel Tom <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
> I'm not sure how enclosed you desire the carrels to be.  However,
> we have custom built carrels that do dampen the sound.  The
> partitions between our carrels are approximately 2 inches thick and
> are filled with fiberglass with a perforated metal surface.  They
> extend 18-19 inches above the desktop of the carrel.  There is also
> a front panel 1 inch thick made of the same material as the side
> partitions which extends 12 inches above the desktop.  If the
> student wearing a headset with microphone sits with their head
> inside the carrel, then there will be a relatively soundproof
> environment.  However, if a student speaks very loudly, the student
> will be heard by others.  Also if the student sits away from the
> desktop outside the area contained within the side partitions, the
> sound will not be dampened.
>
>> --- Forwarded Message from "Cahill, Linda E." <[log in to unmask]>
>>
>> Does anybody have furniture or a technique or a structure for
>> enclosing a carrel so that students have a relatively private,
>> soundproof area to practice pronunciation in their language lab?

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center, Ortega Hall Rm 129, University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131  505/277-4804 fax 505/277-3885
Internet: [log in to unmask]