LLTI Archives

June 2000, Week 4

From:
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 13:33:28 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] ---

>From: [log in to unmask]
>Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 10:36:41 -0400
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: transcription hardware

When people need to transcribe spoken material from audio here at
BU we have been offering an open-reel Tandberg 1521 FP (Foot Pedal)
machine dating back to the early 1970s.

Yes folks, you heard me right.

Our FP is a gem - it locks into play and the foot pedal controls
the stop and rewind functions, leaving the hands free to do the
writing/typing of the recorded material.

This machine is dying. I seek a replacement hardware or alternate
technology.

1. Any such machines out there available for cannibalization?

2. Any readers from Tandberg want to make a suggestion (I know
you are out there!) or surprise me with the last FP machine,
like new, found in a back closet?

3. Any suggestions for hardware to facilitate transcription work?

4. Anyone digitizing and mousing through hours and hours of material,
multi-task fashion? Is this really a viable approach?

We haul out the foot pedal when people have 5+ hours of audio
transcriptions. We prefer not to consider jobbing this work out.

Hoping to hear from someone, I remain

stuck,
bruce