LLTI Archives

June 2000, Week 4

From:
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 08:00:25 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "David Pankratz" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 10:38:49 -0500
>From: "David Pankratz" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5607 Private Pronunciation

------------------
In my experience there are some, perhaps many students who feel self-conscious doing oral practice in a public space, and would rather not be heard by others. You may find ways to enclose practice spaces so that others do not hear them, but there is another angle that can be considered. If you can find ways to make the students more comfortable about doing their oral drills, that helps also. One way is to simply tell students during orientations to the lab that this is indeed normal in this environment, and that nobody will be bothered by their oral practice. I have had the sense in my lab that many students are relieved to hear this and that's all they need. Another idea is to create an atmosphere that is not so quiet that students are afraid to break the silence. In past discussions several lab directors have commented on the benefits of playing soft music in the lab, usually classical. This also seems to make students more comfortable with the idea of making a little noise themselves.

David Pankratz
Loyola University Chicago

>>> [log in to unmask] 06/20 7:41 AM >>>
--- Forwarded Message from "Cahill, Linda E." <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Cahill, Linda E." <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Private Pronunciation
>Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 15:50:48 -0400

Does anybody have furniture or a technique or a structure for enclosing a
carrel so that students have a relatively private, soundproof area to
practice pronunciation in their language lab?