LLTI Archives

June 2000, Week 4

From:
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 2000 08:37:10 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Karin Thomeier <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 10:33:05 -0200
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: Karin Thomeier <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: #5607 Private Pronunciation

Hi Linda,

Here at Memorial we have private carrels in our
audio lab, whereby the student desk is enclosed
on three sides by partitions that are part of the
table structure. The insides of the partitions have
sound proofing installed, which makes the room
as quiet as it can be when 35 people are talking
all at once!
Our computer lab also has individual carrels that are
clustured in groups of six and are built similarly to the
ones in the audio lab, though they do not have built-in
sound proofing. Students in carrels
cannot see each other's screens without looking around a
partition. The decision to go for this type of desk was made
to accomodate privacy during
individual study, which is the primary use by students in our two
labs. Students working on our new iMacs, which are not in
carrels, don't seem to mind their screen being visible to others.
The fact that each of them is wearing a headset when completing
audio portions prevents distraction by neighbouring students.

Best regards,
Karin
--
Karin Thomeier, Ph.D