LLTI Archives

June 2000, Week 3

From:
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 08:24:05 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Daniel Tom <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 11:15:20 -1000
>From: Daniel Tom <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5607 Private Pronunciation
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Linda,

I'm not sure how enclosed you desire the carrels to be.  However, we have
custom built carrels that do dampen the sound.  The partitions between our
carrels are approximately 2 inches thick and are filled with fiberglass
with a perforated metal surface.  They extend 18-19 inches above the
desktop of the carrel.  There is also a front panel 1 inch thick made of
the same material as the side partitions which extends 12 inches above the
desktop.  If the student wearing a headset with microphone sits with their
head inside the carrel, then there will be a relatively soundproof
environment.  However, if a student speaks very loudly, the student will
be heard by others.  Also if the student sits away from the desktop
outside the area contained within the side partitions, the sound will not
be dampened.

The carrels were installed when the labs were first completed in
1972.  Due to comments by teachers that the front panels prevented them
from seeing their students, the front panels were removed in our class
labs.  However, the front panels have been kept in our open library
lab.  A photo of the carrels can be seen at:

http://www.lll.hawaii.edu/lll/ltrlc/facilities.html

Daniel Tom
Language Telecommunications, Resource & Learning Center
University of Hawaii
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]
FAX:     808-956-5134
Voice:   808-956-5118