LLTI Archives

June 2000, Week 3

From:
Date:
Fri, 16 Jun 2000 15:19:55 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Mary Fetherston <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 13:06:57 -0400
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Mary Fetherston <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Digitizing Audio and Video Survey Results

------------------
Thanks to everyone who participated in the on-line survey of audio and
video digitizing  methods.  I heard from 43 institutions in the US,
Australia, and England.

I was having difficulty summarizing the results, so I decided to post the
Excel spreadsheet and you can see all the info gathered.  It seems that
many institutions are making the move to web/intranet delivery of audio and
video materials with some much further ahead than others.  Some of those
who replied that they didn't have any digitized files said that they
thought they would go that direction soon.  The formats seemed pretty
evenly divided between QuickTime and Real, with a few MP3.  It also seemed
split between streaming and progressive download of files.  The spreadsheet
can be seen at
http://www.uri.edu/artsci/langlab/LLTI.html . Scroll accross and down to
see all the data.  If the column headings are unclear, go to the original
survey at http://www.uri.edu/artsci/langlab/vllsurvey.html

I really appreciated the amplifying remarks and the additional emails
talking about your experiences.  I hope this information  is helpful to
anyone taking, or considering, the digital leap.

Mary

Mary Fetherston                                 [log in to unmask]
Interim Supervisor, Language Lab                401-874-4719/20
University of Rhode Island                      fax: 874-4694
60 Upper College Road, Suite 3
Kingston, RI 02881
"Life is a gamble at terrible odds--if it was a bet, you wouldn't take it."
                                                - Tom Stoppard