LLTI Archives

May 2000, Week 5

From:
Date:
Tue, 30 May 2000 08:47:26 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Mary Morrisard-Larkin" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 10:10:20 -0400
>From: "Mary Morrisard-Larkin" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5670 Online Testing

------------------
Hi Cindy - We've been using on-line tests for about 2 years now as part of our Self-Paced Language Program.  Having the tests on-line gives our students the flexibility to take tests when its convenient to them.  All our tests are on-line, grammar/vocabulary, listening and reading.  Students type up their answers on a  web-based form which gets processed by FORMMAIL, a  PERL script that can be downloaded for free, and I receive an e-mail with their answers.

All our tests are password protected and the password is random generated from a list of 200 possibilities so that students can't share that information with each other.  Cheating has been our biggest concern, not only did students share passwords in the beginning but now I've caught a couple that have had on-line dictionnaries open while they were taking their tests.

It does take students some time to get used to taking tests on the computer.  Some don't like having to type their answers.  Others miss having a piece of paper in front of them where they can underline key words, etc.  And of course there are technical problems.  Some students have lost whole exams and have had to re-do them because they hit the wrong key or the server locks up.

Please feel free to contact me off-list if you have anymore questions.  Mary M-L

>>> [log in to unmask] 05/19/00 02:29PM >>>
--- Forwarded Message from "Jorth, Cindy" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Jorth, Cindy" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Online Testing
>Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 10:27:01 -0700

Hello,

We've begun doing some online testing and I'm sure there are many of you out
there that have moved some assessment online.  I'm curious as to what types
of tests you have moved online, how you're administering/proctoring them,
what type of tests you've created and how (i.e. listening comp tests created
within Blackboard or WebCT), and what the response has been from faculty and
students using them.  I'm also curious as to your rationale for moving to
online testing.

Cindy