LLTI Archives

May 2000, Week 5

From:
Date:
Tue, 30 May 2000 08:47:20 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Fatima Chajia" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Fatima Chajia" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: #5611 Contracts and duties during intersemester sessions
>Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 17:44:21 GMT

------------------
Hi y'all,
Some time in April, out of curiosity to know what is going on in our
profession, I asked the following:

>I would like to know how many of lab (multimedia center) directors are:
>1) on a 9 month contract
>2) on a 12 month contract
>3) HAVE TO BE ON CAMPUS during the various breaks: Spring break, and the
>various intersessions -between spring semester and may semester, between
>may semester and summer semester, etc...

The purpose of that posting was not for any kind of survey; however some of
you asked me to tally the responses. The responses I received did not lend
themselves to any sophisticated statistics (due to the lack of a
questionnaire). Anyhow, the "results" are as follows:

I received 34 responses. A majority of the respondents provided their status
and the type of contract they were on.  The responses to questions number 3
(duties during intersessions) were so diverse that they did not lend
themselves even to basic descriptives statistics.

STATUS:
47 % have an administrative position
9 % are actual faculty members
6 % have faculty status
6 % have part faculty part administrator status
32 % No info provided

"CONTRACT"
50% are on a 12 month contract
21 % are on a 9 month contract
21 % are on a 10 month contract
3 % : no info provided

When reading the above "results", please keep in mind that the questions
that prompted the responses where not designed for a survey.

Thank you all again.

fatima

Dr. Fatima Chajia, Director
Foreign Language Laboratories