LLTI Archives

May 2000, Week 5

From:
Date:
Wed, 31 May 2000 08:19:46 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Green, Jim" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Green, Jim" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "'Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum'"     <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Widespread survey of actual use of computers in language learning curriculum been done?
>Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 13:49:03 -0400
>Return-Receipt-To: "Green, Jim" <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Dear Colleagues:

I am a doctoral student and would like to ask if anyone is familiar with any
survey studies that have been done in recent years that have focused on the
degree to which IEP's and/or foreign language programs throughout the US
actually utilize CALL and/or integrate CALL into their curricula, and if
they do, how they accomplish it.  I am considering such a study for my
doctoral dissertation, and although I have not found a recent study in my
library and bibliographic searches, thought it would be best to contact the
professionals in the field for their input as well.

I know of a study in 1980, by Solveig Olsen (Modern Language Journal v64,
n3, Fall '80) discussing the results of a survey of Foreign Language
Departments throughout the US in which the author surveyed the programs' use
of and attitudes toward computer assisted language learning, but have not
been able to find a reference to a similar study since.  I am familiar with
Levy's study in 1991 of professionals who develop CALL, but this seemed not
to focus specifically on a sample of all language programs, but rather was
targeted at those individuals who were identified as specifically developing
and using CALL.

I am interested in doing such a study because I find that much has been
written as to how to best implement computer assisted language learning into
language programs and into the classroom, and reports have been made of
individual programs or classes, so it would seem that the degree to which
the vast majority of programs are actually able to carry out the suggestions
found in the literature would merit further investigation as well. In
addition, although I know survey studies cannot demonstrate cause and
effect, I would like to analyze the results of such a study to attempt to
identify factors that might contribute to a greater "success" in the
utilization of CALL as demonstrated by programs in which it is found to be
well used and integrated into the curriculum.

Your assistance will be very appreciated.  If you would like additional
information about my research interests or scope, or have any suggestions,
please don't hesitate to contact me.  I welcome your interest and comments.

Thank you for your time.

Jim Green
University of South Florida