LLTI Archives

May 2000, Week 3

From:
Date:
Wed, 17 May 2000 14:41:35 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Mike Ledgerwood <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 16:09:26 -0400
>From: Mike Ledgerwood <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum     <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5657.7 To drill or not to drill

------------------
Once again, I think this is a crucial issue for all of
us in lots of different ways.

We has a discussion on LLTI two years ago (don't know
the exact dates but one could search for Tandberg in
the archives) where we discussed turnkey vs. custom
installations.

In my own center I decided on a custom installation since
my faculty did not want (with the exception of the French
phonetics professor, Louise) an audiocassette lab with console,
nor did they want to do class-based work, but wanted students
to do assignments outside of class individually or in small
groups.

I think the new Tandberg/Sony/ASC labs do have something to
offer (finally?) but believe, as always, that users, potential
users, curricula and pedagogy have to drive lab usage.  Otherwise
there is no point in having a Center/lab.  Hope that isn't too
strong for you guys...  Of course, the Center director/staff
have to try to lead faculty at the same time that they follow
faculty and this isn't always an easy equation.  People have
been fired as a result of failing this equation.  So, people
do have to be careful about trying to lead too much...

I also believe that there is an enormous distinction between
Universities and secondary schools in regard to pedagogy and
types of exercises and time usage of students.  As a result
the turnkey approach makes more sense IMHO for secondary
schools than most universities.  (Colleges vary as they
vary in size).  My two cents while waiting for my students to
finish their practical exam in their Intro to Media for Lang.
Teaching course.

Best to all,

Mike Ledgerwood
Tenured Professor of French and Technology and Education
Director of the Language Learning and Research Center