LLTI Archives

May 2000, Week 3

From:
Date:
Wed, 17 May 2000 14:38:44 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Scott G. Williams" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 12:45:52 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: "Scott G. Williams" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: CALL and promotion decisions

------------------
Hi,

I am planning to go to bat soon for our faculty with the administration
about recognition of their involvement in the production of CALL material.
That is, I want it to be a clearly recognizable item in tenure and
promotion decisions. Merely subsuming it under "Service" or "Teaching"
often tends to devalue it in those circumstances, and it does not really
acknowledge the unique way in which it combines those categories with a
type of "Research" and "Publishing," albeit not in any traditional sense.

What is the policy at your universities? Has anyone been involved in
advocating distinct recognition of such activities? How did you sell it?

Suggestions?

thanks,

Scott

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Scott G. Williams, Ph.D.
Director
Language Acquisition Center
Dept. of Foreign Languages
Univ. of Texas at Arlington
Box 19557
Arlington, Texas 76019-0557

Tel: Office (817) 272-5650 / LAC (817) 272-5148
Fax: (817) 272-5408

email: [log in to unmask]

LAC: (http://langlab.uta.edu/lac.htm)
Foreign Languages:( http://langlab.uta.edu)