LLTI Archives

May 2000, Week 3

From:
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2000 15:06:10 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Louise Campbell <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 09:13:27 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum             <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Louise Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: LLTI Digest - 11 May 2000 to 12 May 2000 (#2000-72)

------------------
I've found the discussion of the record/playback with student and master
track to be useful.  Here's another perspective.

At various times when we've worked on proposals to upgrade our lab
equipment I've surveyed our faculty on this issue (though not the
students).  Every time I get the same response: it's not considered useful
for any courses except phonetics.  It's an important exception for them.
In teaching those courses the faculty would not want to be without this
feature.

Sometimes (particularly in French phonetics) the student playback and
critique of the master/student recording is an integral part of the course.
 In all of our phonetics courses  the instructors use this function for
evaluation purposes.

Louise M. Campbell              phone: 608 785-8325
UW-La Crosse                       fax:   608 785-6918
1725 State Street
La Crosse, WI  54601           [log in to unmask]