LLTI Archives

May 2000, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2000 09:57:58 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Rob Reynolds <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 10:39:03 -0500
>From: Rob Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: #5657.4 To drill or not to drill
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
David and Andrew have, I think, allowed us to come to the heart of the
discussion concerning the future of Language Labs/Learning Centers in Modern
Language Education.

While we operated under the old audio system, turnkey systems made sense and
dealt with a technology that few, if any, instructors could engineer or
maintain properly.  Fortunately, most of us are now converting to
computer-based systems which are comprised of elements that many instructors
and most students can understand and maintain.

In addition, our needs and the demands for learning interfaces have changed
significantly.  In our Learning Center, students want to listen to and
record on traditional audio files, CDs, Web Radio, and e-mail attachments.
Within eighteen months they will be demanding speech recognition software
for voice-based chat rooms etc.  Our systems must, as much as possible,
become Web-based and have open architectures that will expand easily to
accommodate new technologies.

This is precisely why our University chose not to utilize a turnkey system
when we installed our new Learning Center this year.

By 2003, no publisher will be recording files onto CDs.  They will all be
handled online.  Currently, we are building interactive exercises and
quizzes, adding Web links and games, and creating new learning environments
for our students that they can access from within the LC or from a remote
site.  Our work is entirely Web-based.

Hope this helps.

Rob Reynolds, Ph.D.
Director, Modern Languages Learning Center
University of Oklahoma
405-325-1352 (o)
405-325-0103 (f)