LLTI Archives

May 2000, Week 2

From:
Date:
Fri, 12 May 2000 10:00:17 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Mary Ball <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 17:06:22 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Mary Ball <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5657 To drill or not to drill

------------------
David,
        We went digital two and a half years ago and wrestled with exactly
this question.  In fact, I asked your question on LLTI in Sept 97.  We
bought a CAN8 lab precisely so that students could record and compare.
        Although I wasn't intelligent enough to survey students before and
after, observation is very clear.  We installed the new lab during
Christmas break, and I would estimate the change as going from 10% of
students recording on tape first semester to 90% plus recording digitally
second semester.  It has stayed like that in the four semesters since.  Or
at least, all the students record. Not all of them listen and compare
thoughtfully. I should do a survey on that.  I should also note that in
both the tape and the digital eras, students have been told they are
supposed to record.  Now, however, we can check up on them, and
instructors make sure to show their classes the instructor records view.
        CAN8 doesn't play back the two recordings (original and student)
simultaneously, as in the tape drill function.  But with the original cut
into sentences, or the size that you deem appropriate, the screen layout
uses a graphical display to put the two recordings adjacent to each other.
Students can click back and forth to compare the whole recordings, or any
parts of them.
        SONY recently announced a "drill" function in their digital lab.
Somebody will probably write in about that.
        My question, too, was does anybody know of any research on the
value of listen-and-compare?  Back in '97, I had looked unsuccessfully in
ERIC and Ohio's central university library catalog.  No one was able to
cite any research, though many LLTI resondendents were convinved that
students can't hear the difference, anyway.  My own anecdotal observation
is that some listen and re-record with a correction (corrected verb
ending, adjective ending, right word or syllable substituted for misheard
one, better intonation), while others record the same mistake (e.g.
mistaken word order in German subordinated clause) for five sentences in a
row. I'm sure some people will find that student self-correction in
sentence construction still doesn't address communicative competence.
        I'd love to hear what you come up with.

Mary Ball
Director, Language Lab
Ashland University