LLTI Archives

May 2000, Week 2

From:
Date:
Fri, 12 May 2000 09:59:32 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 14:29:34 -0600
>From: Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]>
>To: LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5657 To drill or not to drill
>Originator-Info: login-token=Mulberry:01xSN07imI5lNLY+ZaBdWtbAq0n2BFmA==

We've done some informal studies with similar results- about 10-15%
of the students say they use and like the lab feature that allows
them to record their voice and compare it to the master audio track.
However, I some doubt about the accuracy our surveys, due to a recent
technical problem.  We made some wiring changes in our cassette
listening lab in December.  In checking the lab in April, we
discovered that the December changes had knocked out the
record-your-voice-with-the-master feature.  You could still record
your voice, but not while listening to the master track.

Apparently, during three months, either no student used this feature
or no one reported the problem.  So, were the surveyed students
telling us what they thought we wanted to hear?  Are they too
tolerant of technical problems?  Or has the usage changed since we
surveyed?  Most students now use the computer and video labs.  Many
exercises in the software for our French text, Portes Ouvertes, use a
computer-based record and compare feature.  My impression is that
students are not using it much.  But that is just an impression.  It
would be nice to have some research that tracks what students say
they do in this area and compares it with what they actually do.

Derek

--On Thu, May 11, 2000 12:58 PM +0000 LLTI-Editor
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> --- Forwarded Message from "David Pankratz"
>
>> Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 10:38:41 -0500
>> From: "David Pankratz" <[log in to unmask]>
>> To: [log in to unmask]
>> Subject: To drill or not to drill
>
> I recently conducted a small, informal survey of lab users asking
> them if they use the "drill" function on our cassette machines or
> not, and if so, how useful they find it. (The "drill" function
> allows them to record their voices as they listen to the tape,
> enabling them to replay the passages and compare their recordings
> to the native speaker.)
>
>  My quick impression as I look over the results is that about 15-20%
> of those who filled out our questionnaire do use this feature _and_
> find it beneficial. I intend to write up a complete summary of the
> results. In the meantime, I would like to ask if have any of you
> have done a similar survey, or do you know of any published studies
> on this topic? I often hear lab directors say something like "most
> students do not really use this function on our lab cassette
> machines." I find this issue very interesting and respecially
> relevant in light of the shift to digital delivery of listening
> materials, which to my knowledge does not provide the option--at
> least not yet--for students to "listen, record, and compare."
>
> Any observations you have or leads on studies would be appreciated.
>
> David Pankratz
> Loyola University Chicago

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center, Ortega Hall Rm 129, University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131  505/277-4804 fax 505/277-3885
Internet: [log in to unmask]