LLTI Archives

May 2000, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 11 May 2000 12:58:50 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "David Pankratz" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 10:38:41 -0500
>From: "David Pankratz" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: To drill or not to drill

I recently conducted a small, informal survey of lab users asking them
if they use the "drill" function on our cassette machines or not, and
if so, how useful they find it. (The "drill" function allows them to
record their voices as they listen to the tape, enabling them to
replay the passages and compare their recordings to the native
speaker.)

 My quick impression as I look over the results is that about 15-20%
of those who filled out our questionnaire do use this feature _and_
find it beneficial. I intend to write up a complete summary of the
results. In the meantime, I would like to ask if have any of you have
done a similar survey, or do you know of any published studies on this
topic? I often hear lab directors say something like "most students do
not really use this function on our lab cassette machines." I find
this issue very interesting and respecially relevant in light of the
shift to digital delivery of listening materials, which to my
knowledge does not provide the option--at least not yet--for students
to "listen, record, and compare."

Any observations you have or leads on studies would be appreciated.

David Pankratz
Loyola University Chicago