LLTI Archives

May 2000, Week 1

From:
Date:
Tue, 2 May 2000 09:39:51 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Karl Fisher <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 08:40:40 -0400
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Karl Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5629 Plan to Kill in Spanish Partner

------------------
Dear Karima,

I wrote the exercise and I used to assign it.

I only asked that the students not get any ideas from it!  ;)

It is a lot more interesting that the usual set of unrelated items for the
past participle as an adjective. "Did you close the door? --Yes, it's
closed.  Did you open the windows? --Yes, the windows are open. etc." In
the exercise, the telephone is disconnected, the villian has gloves (put)
on, the grades are all changed in the gradebook, they're sure they weren't
seen, but finally, when the police arrive, the students are caught.

I'm very sorry if anyone is offended by the exercise. The exercise was
written before Columbine, and I understand why it might be considered in
poor taste today. However, if we remove every book from the library that
offends, we won't have much left to read. (Up with the 1st amendment!)

Best,
Karl Fisher
University of the South