LLTI Archives

May 2000, Week 1

From:
Date:
Tue, 2 May 2000 09:39:45 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Jean-Jacques d'Aquin" <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------
On Mon, 1 May 2000, LLTI-Editor wrote:

> --- Forwarded Message from "Sue Breeyear" <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
> My university is just beginning a major cost-cutting (a.k.a.
> "strategic planning") process which involves cutting faculty lines
> and support staffing throughout the institution.  In order to continue
> to be able to offer enough language courses to stay afloat, we are
> looking at the possibility of using self-tutoring elementary French
> and Spanish programs that don't require a full-time instructor.
>
> Does anyone have experience with programs of this sort?

* Check out NASILP (National Association of Self-Instructional Language
Programs) at http://www. nasilp.org

It services mainly Less-Commonly Taught Languages (LCTLs) - everything
other than French, Spanish, and German, but the methodology is academicaly
valid no matter what the language is, IF (shouted loud and clear) and only
if, their model is strictly adhered to, i.e., NO Indian math professor
giving Hindi language exams just because s/he happens to be a native
speaker of Hindi ...
Cheers!

Jean-Jacques d'Aquin, Language Lab Director
University of South Alabama, HUMB-322, Mobile, AL 36688
VOX 334-460-6291 FAX 334-460-7123