LLTI Archives

May 2000, Week 1

From:
Date:
Fri, 5 May 2000 08:19:53 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Scott G. Williams" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 09:15:20 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: "Scott G. Williams" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: leasing machines

------------------
Has anyone pursued the avenue of leasing rather than purchasing computers?

Our Apple rep last year and the new one this year waved that possibility
under my nose. However, when I listed my needs and pressed them for an
actual offer, they both blithely ignored me. This absolute refusal to
respond so irritated a colleague in English that, although she prefers
Macs, she actually switched their lab over to PCs when they got funding.

The initial offer, in any case, was that we could get a whole new lab full
of machines up front, but spread out the lease agreement payments over a
couple of years making it manageable given our budget. At the end of any
given year we could then actual have the respective (i.e., paid for)
machines from that year for an additional dollar (one), machines which we
could downstream to faculty and grad students (for whom there is absolutely
no tech budget). Then if we signed an additional year lease, they would
replace that portion of the machines with new ones.

Has anyone actually done this with Apple or any other company? The problem
we are attempting to address, whether this route or not, is simply that
there is insufficient monies in my budget and no regular tech plan for the
university through which to ensure timely, regular rotation of machines
(every 3-4 years). As it is, we have been circling Surplus Equipment for
incoming Macs that we cannibalize so that my creative staff can resuscitate
the aging machines in our lab and department.

any thoughts?

Scott

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Scott G. Williams, Ph.D.
Director
Language Acquisition Center
Dept. of Foreign Languages
Univ. of Texas at Arlington
Box 19557
Arlington, Texas 76019-0557

Tel: Office (817) 272-5650 / LAC (817) 272-5148
Fax: (817) 272-5408

email: [log in to unmask]

LAC: (http://langlab.uta.edu/lac.htm)
Foreign Languages:( http://langlab.uta.edu)