LLTI Archives

May 2000, Week 1

From:
Date:
Fri, 5 May 2000 08:19:44 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Jacqueline Kaminski <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 08:19:54 -0700
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Jacqueline Kaminski <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: UC Davis Position Vacancy

Hello All!
Well, I've just accepted a position at Purdue University (where I'll
both work and be able to complete my PhD). UC Davis has asked that I
post the announcement below to LLTI.  UC Davis is in a wonderful
location in northern California; we have just finished a renovations
and equipment initiative, and the entire building is being renovated
over the summer.  This is a great opportunity! :)  If you have any
application questions, please direct them to Miriam Heikila
([log in to unmask]).  Or, if there is anything I can do or answer,
please contact me at [log in to unmask]  :)
Best regards,
Jacque
*********************VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT*****************

VACANCY
ACADEMIC COORDINATOR II
for
UC Davis Language Learning Center

The Language Learning Center (LLC) serves as a resource center and
high-tech environment for language studies at UC Davis.  The LLC
addresses the needs of more than 2500 faculty, staff, and students
each quarter, providing more than 18,000 units of service for
programs in African/African American Studies, Cantonese, Chinese,
Classics, ESL, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Linguistics,
Native-American Studies, Russian, Spanish, and the Second Language
Acquisition Institute (SLAI).  The LLC serves a dual role in
providing language-specific support (digital video and audio
streaming, CDs, software, cassettes, and videos) and
language-specific advice for technology development and use.  The
specific duties of the LLC director are as follows:

* Direct the LLC, including the selection, evaluation and supervision
of the Center's career and student staff of 12-15 (approximately 3.15
FTE);

* Lead, coordinate, and train interested faculty in implementing,
expanding, and managing the use of technology for language teaching;

* Consult with and establish resources for all the language
constituents listed above;

* Assess pedagogical advances in technology-based language learning
and disseminate such information to interested faculty;

* Assure that the LLC provides a state-of-the-art environment and
infrastructure for language instruction and research, including the
SLA Institute's activities;

* Manage the LLC operating budget ($150,000) and oversee the final
stage of LLC renovation (approx. $200,000).

Type of position:  100% fiscal year

Salary range:  Academic Coordinator II, $41,000 to $56,000 (salary
commensurate with qualifications)

Eligibility for merit increases:  every 2 years

Term of appointment:  non-tenured career position

Qualifications:  Previous experience with technologically-based
language labs and familiarity with foreign language/ESL pedagogy
required.  Knowledge of computerized network systems and applications
and experience with audio-visual equipment required.  Demonstrated
administrative ability.  M.A. or equivalent experience preferred.
Experience with both Macintosh and PC platforms sufficient to oversee
language facility.

Position Available:  The search committee will begin reviewing
applications on June 1. To ensure consideration, submit application
by that date.

Application:  Send letter of application, resume, and the names and
addresses of three references to:  Language Learning Center, Search
Committee, Attn:  Miriam Heikila, Olson 49, One Shields Ave., UC
Davis, Davis, CA 95616-8601.  Faxed (530-754-8764) or e-mailed
([log in to unmask]) applications accepted.

The University of California, Davis, and the LLC are interested in
candidates who are committed to the highest standard of scholarship
and professional activities, and to the development of a campus
climate that supports equality and diversity.  The University of
California is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.
Jacqueline M. Kaminski
Director, Language Learning Center
University of California, Davis
1 Shields Avenue, Olson Hall 49