LLTI Archives

May 2000, Week 1

From:
Date:
Fri, 5 May 2000 08:19:41 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Dr. Wayne Stromberg" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 09:49:05 -0700
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: "Dr. Wayne Stromberg" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Summer Institutes at LARC, in San Diego, California

Throughout the summer of 2000 San Diego State University's Language
Acquisition Resource Center (LARC), one of nine national Foreign Language
Resource Centers, will offer four summer institutes focused on promoting
language instruction for K-College language educators. All of the sessions
will be held at the LARC Multimedia Laboratory. In offering these
workshops, LARC hopes to be able bring together some of the top language
educators from around the country. Due to space availability and to allow
for maximum success, each session will be limited to 20 participants. If
you would like to join us in San Diego for one of these sessions, please be
sure to make note of the registration deadlines. As an added incentive,
early registrants will receive $20 off the $75 registration fee.

All expenses incurred during each of the institutes are the sole
responsibility of the participant. LARC will provide a welcome lunch on the
first day of the event as well as a closing session lunch on the last day.
We will also provide the software and hardware materials necessary for
participants to accomplish the creation of their multimedia component.
However, individuals should bring with them any resources they wish to
incorporate into their project.

To apply for one or more of the following workshops, please contact Carlos
Delgado at 619-594-6177.

Digital Media Archiving
July 24 - 28, 2000
Participants will learn how to create multimedia components to enhance
their online web sites or multimedia CD-ROMs and assist in the creation of
digital media resources for their languages. The goal is to create a
sharable bank of materials for a variety of languages, in particular, the
less commonly taught languages where access to media may be difficult.
These resources may be used to annotate texts for a media-rich learning
environment. Participants may choose also to attend the following week,
where they will learn to use a newly-created authoring system for teaching
reading and/or learning to read in a foreign language. SDSU credits may be
earned for participation in this institute.
Early Registration Deadline: May 1, 2000
Regular Registration Deadline: June 1, 2000
Registration Fee: $75

Reading in the Digital Age
July 31 - August 4, 2000
Participants will learn how to annotate texts with a new online authoring
template format applicable to both commonly and uncommonly taught
languages. The goal of the workshop is to establish groups of collaborators
to create useful, pedagogically sound materials in a variety of languages
which can be sharable via the Internet. Participants in this week-long
workshop may choose to attend the previous week's seminar in order to
create and digitize the media they will use in their readings. SDSU credits
may be earned for participation in this workshop.
Early Registration Deadline: May 15, 2000
Regular Registration Deadline: June 15, 2000
Registration Fee: $75

d-VOCI Oral Proficiency Test Creation
August 7 - August 11, 2000
Workshop participants will be familiarized with the theory and practice of
ACTFL's Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) and with the process of video
digitization. Working from prototypes established in the 1999 d-VOCI Summer
Institute, tests will be created in Arabic, Chinese, Italian, Japanese, and
other languages.
Early Registration Deadline: May 15, 2000
Regular Registration Deadline: June 15, 2000
Registration Fee: $75

Developing a Web Presence for your Foreign Language Class
July 31 - August 4, 2000
This summer workshop will target K-College teachers of second and foreign
languages. Participants will receive technical assistance, software, and
the support of a staff fully dedicated to helping you with an on line
presence for your class. Those who complete the series will have all the
tools and skills necessary to put a finished web page on line. Topics to be
covered include: Copyright law and the web, course management software, web
editors, making your web page interactive, the basics of HTML editing,
Foreign Language characters on the web. SDSU credits may be earned for
participation in this workshop.  Questions about this workshop may be
directed to [log in to unmask] (or call 619-594-5445).

Early Registration Deadline: May 15, 2000
Regular Registration Deadline: June 15, 2000
Registration Fee: $75
Maria A. Ortega
Program Coordinator
National Language Resource Center