LLTI Archives

April 2000, Week 4

From:
Date:
Mon, 24 Apr 2000 09:00:00 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2000 10:23:07 -0500
>From: "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>, <[log in to unmask]>, <[log in to unmask]>, "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]>,        <[log in to unmask]>, <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: FLEAT IV Software Demonstration

------------------
Dear IALL colleagues...

I've been asked by the FLEAT IV organizing committee to share this new "call" for participation with you all.  We hope you can consider this additional way to join us in Kobe this summer.

Read Gilgen, Director
L&S Learning Support Services
University of Wisconsin
(608) 262-1408

>>> Donna Tatsuki <[log in to unmask]> 04/22/00 06:47AM >>>
Although the deadline for papers and poster sessions is over, here is an add
itional way to participate at the FLEAT IV Conference:

Software Demonstration at FLEAT IV
August 1, 2000
Kobe, Japan
Call For Participation

1) Demonstrators

Who:    Software Developers or Users
Theme:  Using Software Effectively
Time:   20 minutes per demonstration plus 10 minutes for Q&A
Morning Session: 09:45 to 12:00
Afternoon Session: 13:00 to 15:15
Equipment: Demonstrators are asked to bring their own machines.  Video proje
ctors with cables are available for Windows/Mac. In the case of Web-based so
ftware, the arrangement of internet access will be on the demonstrator's res
ponsibility.  That is, demonstrators are asked to bring their own PHSs and/o
r cellular phones for internet access.  (Participants are advised to cache t
he data for the demonstration in their HD or CD-ROMs as back up). No outside
 telephone line is available in the rooms allocated for the software demonst
ration.
Proposals:      April 29, 2000.
Contact:        Donna Tatsuki << [log in to unmask] >>(English)
Toshiko Sakurai << [log in to unmask] >>(Japanese)

Proposals will be peer reviewed and selection will be announced by May 30. T
he priority will be on users rather than developers, since the crucial point
 of the demonstration is how software can be used effectively in a real clas
sroom situation.

2) Software Donors and Hardware Donors for the Trial Corner

Commercial and non-commercial conference participants are invited to lend CD
 based software for a hands-on experience.

The CD cases will be placed on a table and each CD will be numbered.  The CD
s can be borrowed for use at computer stations set up in the "Trial Corner".
 A piece of identification will be left with the Librarian Assistant that is
 on duty as a security deposit.

To operate this trial counter, at least one Windows machine and one Mac mach
ine (not to be used for the software demonstration) are required. If you are
 interested in lending a machine for this purpose, please contact either Don
na Tatsuki << [log in to unmask] >> (English) or Toshiko Sakurai << toshik
[log in to unmask] >> (Japanese).

3) Assistants
i. One "Hardware Technician" to do the manual "plug and play." This assistan
t (a super power wiring person) will help presenters connect cables and prep
are their machines for their presentations during the live software demonstr
ations and help set up the computers/install software to be used in the Tria
l Corner.
ii. Two "Librarian assistants" will supervise the Trial Corner at the lendin
g desk.

If you are interested in assisting or have students that you can recommend c
ontact either Donna Tatsuki << [log in to unmask] >> (English) or Toshiko
Sakurai << [log in to unmask] >> (Japanese).

FLEAT IV Software Demonstration

1) A software demonstration is scheduled from 9:45am to 12:00 and from 13:00
 to 15:15 on August 1st in Hall I at the "Gourmet Port" building on Rokko Is
land.  Participants are invited to demonstrate software that they have effec
tively used in a real class for a semester or a year. Developers are also en
couraged to demonstrate software that can be used as classroom material rath
er than supplementary material. Twenty minutes is allotted to each demo foll
owed by a 10-minute transition/Q&A period. Participants will be required to
use their own machines connected to a projector available in the room (Mac a
nd Windows). After the demonstration, space is available for further informa
l demonstrations and opportunities to talk with people.

2) Conference participants are encouraged to share (for the duration of the
conference) the software they have with other people.  Software that is lent
 for use in the "Trial Corner" of the software demonstration room will be st
ored in a secure place. The CD cases will be displayed on a table and a stud
ent assistant will lend the CD to an interested participant upon request (in
 exchange for a piece of identification that is left as a security deposit).
  The user will run the CD software by him or her self.  One Windows machine
 and one Mac machine will be provided in the room for this corner.

Software Demonstration Application Form
Your name:
Your affiliation:
Your e-mail address:
Software title:
Machine and the required system to run the software:
Goal and level:
Number of class hours or weeks:
Typical one-hour lesson plan:

Example
Software title: Peter Rabbit
Machine and the required system: Mac. System 7 or later/Windows 3.1 or later
Goal/level: Phonetics in a college level, or reading in a college level/a hi
gh school level
Number of class hours: one semester (14 weeks x 90 minutes)
Typical one-hour lesson plan: Grasp the gist of the whole story. Discuss a s
pecific phonological phenomenon in a section of the story and vocal expressi
ons that include it. Do reading practice after discussion. CD is available f
or student practice in the lab or in the library before/after class.

CDs on Loan to FLEAT
Your name:
Your affiliation:
Your address: