LLTI Archives

April 2000, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 2000 08:15:10 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Jerry Larson <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 14:51:19 +0000
>From: Jerry Larson <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Placement exams
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Comments: Authenticated sender is <[log in to unmask]>

As has been noted the past few days, some users of the Mac
versions of the CAPE exams have experienced erratic behavior of the
tests.  We have tried for some time now to pinpoint the problems and
have determined that it is a quirk in HyperCard.  We have had almost
no problems with the DOS and Windows versions functioning properly
when the program is configured properly on the host machine.  But for
some reason, after several administrations of the Mac exams, they
start to have internal problems.

We have agonized over this problem and have decided at this point not
to release any more Mac/HyperCard versions of the tests.

The Web versions of the CAPEs have been functioning very well on
either a Windows or Mac platform.  So for now, if Mac users wish
to use the exams, we recommend using the Web versions.  You can
see how these work by accessing them through a "demonstration"
Website.  (The test you will take is the same test that your students
would take using the regular WebCAPEs, except the reporting will not
go to your school but rather back to us.)  If you are interested, you
can try either of the French, German, or Spanish versions (Russian
and ESL aren't on the Web yet) by going to:

<http://Webcape.byu.edu/Demo-entry/menu.demo>.
The User ID is Demo User and the password is Demo.

I should also mention that the Windows versions were not
designed for the NT; however, NT users should be able to use the Web
versions without problems.

I hope this will help answer some of the questions and concerns that
have been expressed--or unexpressed.

Jerry W Larson, Director
Humanities Research Center
3060 JKHB