LLTI Archives

April 2000, Week 3

From:
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 08:21:37 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 09:43:28 -0500
>From: "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5601.8 Designing classrooms program (!)

------------------
You make a good point, Cindy.  This is one that I've practiced for years and which I highly recommend:  always have a plan in your back pocket just in case someone comes with a bundle of money.  All too often that's how it happens, and it's always best to appear that you're ready, and in need (being ready demonstrates that).  I've had probably a couple of dozen situations over the past 20 years where that's come in very handy, at least a few times with VERY large amounts of money.

This may not be a good management practice from the taxpayer or administration point of view, but it's a good practice for lab directors.

Read Gilgen, Director
L&S Learning Support Services
University of Wisconsin
(608) 262-1408

>>> [log in to unmask] 04/20/00 07:38AM >>>
--- Forwarded Message from "Jorth, Cindy" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Jorth, Cindy" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "'Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum'"     <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: #5601.7 Designing classrooms program (!)
>Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 08:30:10 -0700

------------------
Sounds very familiar Tom.  We often are told that there is suddenly money
available and that we have 2 days to put in a proposal of what we would like
done.  This type of considerable lack of planning on a funding/financial
level has forced me into creating proposals that I simply have on file for
those sudden cash influxes.  However, these can never truly be complete as
any estimates from our facilities management people (they do electrical,
furniture installation and room redesign) and our telecom people (Ethernet
and other networking solutions) are only given when we have funding
established.  Additionally, estimates are "low priority".  Basically, I know
what equipment is going to cost and then shoot very high on any estimated
campus costs and put it in the proposal.  This is clearly not the preferred
way of planning, but, is an attempt to work within a very established
system.

Cindy