LLTI Archives

April 2000, Week 2

From:
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2000 08:30:36 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Mary Fetherston <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------

>>I agree with the person who stated that foreign
>>language enrollments are greatly influenced by family heritage and
>>background.

I also agree with this statement--we don't  have many Japanese or Chinese
undergrads here and thus Japanese has only two sections per semester and we
don't offer Chinese at all.  However, we do have a vital Portuguese and
Italian population in our state which is reflected in 4 sections of
Portuguese and 14 sections of Italian.

Our  International Engineering Program has influenced the number of German
sections per semester (17, equal to the number of French).  Unfortunately,
our Russian enrollment is sadly declining while our Spanish enrollment is
through the roof (heavily influenced by a strong base of Hispanic students
and the gen ed requirements of 2 semesters).

Mary

Mary Fetherston                                 [log in to unmask]
Interim Supervisor, Language Lab                401-874-4719/20
University of Rhode Island                      fax: 874-4694
60 Upper College Road, Suite 3
Kingston, RI 02881
"In a consumer society there are inevitably two kinds of slaves: the
prisoners of addiction and the prisoners of envy."
                                                        Ivan Illich