LLTI Archives

April 2000, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 08:24:46 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Jennifer Bates <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 09:02:34 -0230 (NDT)
>From: Jennifer Bates <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5600.1 placement exam survey results (!)

------------------
We are just in the final stages of development of our in-house produced
on-line exam. At the moment it is based on an Access database (will
probably switch to oracle), PHP, javascript and HTML. Some of the features
include:

Random question order.
Random ordering of multiple choice answers.
On-line.
Quick download time.
Three levels of difficutly.
A bank of 100 questions for each level (student is presented with 20
questions per level).
Immediate feedback to student (score) with course recommendation.
Immediate notification to French and Spanish department of student score
via e-mail.

From an administrator's point of view:
Easy interface to edit, add, delete questions. (don't need to know any
HTML, PHP, javascript or databases)
Easy interface to search and display student results.

We are also hoping to tie in with our university's registration system so
that the test will only be open to students with a valid Memorial student
number.

We are working out the final glitches and hope to have a test URL by the
end of the week. If anyone is interested in having a look and sending in
your reactions, comments, etc., please reply to me OFFLIST and I will
forward the URL when it is available.

Jennifer.

Jennifer Bates
Programmer Consultant