LLTI Archives

April 2000, Week 2

From:
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 08:19:28 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Otmar K. E. Foelsche ---

>Date: 11 Apr 2000 11:12:24 EDT
>From: Otmar K. E. Foelsche
>To: LLTI-Editor

What is the Internet Grammar?
We are building a grammar-learning environment, accessible using a web-browser, for advanced learners of English. We are using material from a variety of corpora, including our own English-German Translation Corpus, to provide examples and material for exercises wherever possible. The software infra-structure which we have designed makes it possible to track user behaviour in great detail, and we are hoping to discover how different types of learners interact with language teaching material presented on the Web.

What would you do?
We need someone to take over the care of our software infra-structure and help us to develop it further. You would work with the other members of the team, who are responsible for designing and writing content and, in part, for preparing it for insertion in the grammar. Your tasks would be:
(a) to maintain the existing structures, which involve cgi scripts, corpus search facilities and interactive animations, as well as the more conventional elements of a web-site;
(b) to assist with the extraction and analysis of learner data;
(d) to help extend the functionality of the grammar, both for users and researchers, through the development of new features and the improvement of existing ones.

Qualifications:
You will have a degree in a relevant subject and be able to show possession of the necessary software skills - such as cgi and perl or javascript, in addition to html - or a willingness to acquire them very rapidly. You should also have an interest in the use of the Web and corpora for language teaching and learning. You should enjoy working in a team and value the opportunity to help with the further development of our project. The working language of the project is English, so fluency would be an advantage.

Working in Chemnitz?
Apart from the satisfaction of helping to see an exciting research project to its completion, you would have the advantage of a stimulating university environment in a city which is growing and changing every day. Low rents for well-equipped apartments in elegant newly restored houses; leafy suburbs, beautiful countryside; a varied and vigorous cultural life (opera, world-class art exhibitions, cabaret . . . ); all these in one of the most enterprising and economically active cities in the "new" German states.

Please send a CV and covering letter as soon as possible to:
Prof. Dr. Josef  Schmied
Englische Sprachwissenschaft
Technische Universit$E4t Chemnitz
D-09107 Chemnitz, Germany.