LLTI Archives

April 2000, Week 1

From:
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2000 08:30:30 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Carol O'Neil" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Carol O'Neil" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "'Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum'"     <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: #5585.3 LCD projector /LCD panels (!)
>Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 10:41:48 -0300
>Return-Receipt-To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Encoding: 52 TEXT, 108 UUENCODE

------------------
Dalhousie University is in the process of designing a new multimedia
language lab and we do NOT expect to use an LCD projector (much to be
preferred to a panel and overhead), because our new system should allow the
teacher to take direct control of the students' computers-eliminating the
need for a projected image.  On the other hand, we have almost 40 data
projectors installed in various classrooms or in our loan pool.  These are
heavily used by faculty and students-we find it difficult to meet the
increasing demand.  Lessons we've learned:

Don't buy yesterday's technology.  It may be cheaper to buy SVGA
projectors, but their lifespan will be shorter since they won't work well
with newer computers (scan rates can be a problem and lower resolution is
less desirable).  We have a few SVGA projectors which tend to be used only
as a last resort.  Why not spend the extra bucks and buy at least an XGA
model with compressed SXGA (we're using Sharp's NV-3 which I think is the
NV-5 in the United States). Keep in mind that some newer projectors now do
UGA resolution, so the technology keeps getting better.  The current cost
of this Sharp model is approximately CDN$6,000 or about US$4,000.  This
unit has two computer RGB inputs, composite and S-video inputs, 900 ANSI
lumens, wireless/wired remote, and works well with third party lenses for
long throws.  It has proven to be robust, something important for
projectors in our loan pool since they're on the move a lot.

We've found it useful to invite a number of local suppliers to a "shoot
out" wherein they all bring projectors and set them up in a classroom so we
can do a direct comparison of the quality of the projected image.
 Brightness counts-the higher the ANSI lumens rating, the brighter the
image, although the shoot out will often show variations in brightness of
two different projectors with the same ANSI lumens rating.

By and large, the quality and reliability of the products of major
manufacturers are probably the same.  You should, however, consider things
like availability of local technical support, guarantees about temporary
replacements if yours needs repair, etc.  We haven't had many problems, but
sure appreciate being able to get immediate support from across the city.

Definitely don't make this decision without consulting your audiovisual
department.  They probably have more experience with the equipment than you
do and know first hand what kind of support to expect from local suppliers.

Good luck with your search.

Carol O'Neil
Manager, Instructional Media Services
Office of  Instructional Development and Technology
Dalhousie University
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada    B3H 3J5
Phone:  (902) 494-6471      Fax:      (902) 494-6831            E-mail: