LLTI Archives

April 2000, Week 1

From:
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 08:25:00 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from John de Szendeffy <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------
"Fatima Chajia" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> would appreciate if you could recommand an LCD panel/projector (and if
> possible the coordinates of the company to contact)

I would recommend the new Epson PowerLite 500c projector.  800 lumens, 5.8 lb,
SVGA.  It has plenty of features, including Mac serial and USB interface for
the remote pointer, composite, S-video, and SVGA input.  It's tiny, powerful,
crystal clear, and fairly cheap at around $3,400 educational price.  We use it
in a large lab and only slightly dim the lights.  I would recommend buying the
Kensington lock for it as it's more easily stolen than a laptop.  Go to the
Epson web site to find a vendor in your area.  Ours only works in the Boston
area.

I find projection systems in a computer lab indispensable, especially for the
lower levels.  They save a great deal of time and allow you to show and tell
complex procedures to all at once instead of walking around the lab and
repeating individual instruction to each student. It also keeps you from
grabbing the student's mouse and doing something for him,  instead forcing him
to see, understand, and repeat the procedure himself.

-John
John de Szendeffy <[log in to unmask]>
Multimedia Language Lab
Center for English Language and Orientation Programs
Boston University
ph (617) 353-7957 fx (617) 353-6195
Lab:  http://www.bu.edu/celop/MLL
WebFeat: http://www.bu.edu/johndesz/