LLTI Archives

April 2000, Week 1

From:
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 2000 14:48:37 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Phade Orion Vader <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 10:41:37 -0600
>From: Phade Orion Vader <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Charging for printing in Lab
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Hello from Texas Tech.

We had a similar discussion here some years ago.  I COMPLETELY empathize
with your thoughts about not wanting to establish a cost center in your
Lab... handling money is an intricate, serious operation as far as I'm
concerned.

The auditing and processes to maintain a cash location in our institution
have plenty of  rigid protocols, so much so that unless a unit REALLY
REALLY needs it, it is entirely avoided {and often not even approved by the
Budget or Accounting offices}.  I think your term that it sounds like a
nightmare is very probably right.

The mechanisms, and manpower, to charge for anything, print outs included,
has to be considered, aside from the mechanics of cash handling.  There are
many valid questions that have to be answered before something like this
should be started--page counts {how?}, cash box responsibility, on-hand
change, are you state-based or private {flexibility with funds of this
type; which account purchases materials/which gets reimbursed}, monthly
tallies, is there actually enough cost recoup to justify everything?, so on
and so forth.

What we did was to eliminate printing altogether in our Independent
Computer Lab.  Printing under the supervision of a guided class is another
story of course {especially in two computerized classrooms we are
designing}, but there was simply too much abuse, confusion and consumption
otherwise.  And we saw the same thing you are experiencing--at first,
things went well with printing, but eventually all kinds of
non-assigment-related printing started showing up.  {Plus, if there was a
mechanical problem, some students decided to "troubleshoot" the
equipment--not a good thing--without telling us there was a printer problem.}

We have a large student computer center in our Main Campus Library that has
plenty of provisions for student printing, for whatever reason, and the
necessary accounting mechanisms setup to charge for services.  What could
be referred there was done so.

In eliminating in-lab printing, we lost some functionality, yes, but the
larger administrative headache { ! } was prevented.  We work closely with
our faculty, and they understand totally, and find alternate means for
assignments that might otherwise need a printed copy of something.

We are also working with our internal programmer to redirect a print job to
a batched e-mail... in this way, whatever would otherwise be printed gets
e-mailed either to the professor/instructor or to the student, and the
recipient can then print wherever and whenever they want outside the Lab.
This is something we are looking at on several "canned" software packages
and some of our own things.  This is a very heavy solution on the technical
side, though.  If it weren't for having this programming talent in-house,
we couldn't do it.  One other thing we have done on a piecemeal basis is to
store potential prints or assignments on a network drive, and we print or
e-mail the files when the assigning faculty requests them {some
manufactured software packages have utilities within the program for this}.
 Just one idea.

Hope this information helps... the administrator in me says "run" whenever
collecting and handling money for something like this is mentioned.  Is
there any possibility to educate those above {Chair/Dean/VP/Provost} about
what this really means for you?

Best of luck with everything--

Phade Vader
Director
Language Learning Laboratory
    & Resource Center
Texas Tech University
Lubbock, TX

------------------
At 08:50 AM 3/31/00 -0500, you wrote:
>--- Forwarded Message from "Tracy N. Dingess" <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
>>From: "Tracy N. Dingess" <[log in to unmask]>
>>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"
>>Subject: Lab Tracking Software and Procedures
>>Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 10:23:35 -0500
>
>------------------
>Duh!
>
>So it only took me a week to think of this one.  Thanks you guys for all the
>info on tracking and management software.  I have a new one along that line
>for you.
>
>My Department (Foreign Languages) has not been charging students for their
>printer use in the open access lab.  Consequently, students are using more
>and more paper to print non-assignment materials and personal email
>messages, etc. from our lab.  I have been instructed to begin charging for
>all print services in this lab.  Printing in our smart classroom will remain
>no-charge.
>
>Could anyone give me guidelines on how to setup the charges, how to best
>manage the incoming nickels, dimes and quarters, how to handle making change
>for the dollar bills?  I think this in going to turn into a nightmare
>myself.
>
>I could purchase a small lockbox to install (fasten to the desk) at the
>attendants station near the door, but know that box will have to be opened
>many times a day to make change, so why bother putting a drop slot in the
>top?
>
>I could purchase another lockbox to keep in the inner office (secure
>location) so the closing attendant can remove the cash from the lab and
>store it in the inner office box until it can be turned over to the office
>manager the next morning.
>
>This is the super simple version.  What can I do that would be better, more
>efficient, less prone to invite a student or attendant with an empty pocket
>to try stealing cash, etc . . . ?
>
>I don't like the idea of having cash in the lab at all, but it is not my
>decision.
>
>Tracy.

Phade Orion Vader, Director
Language Learning Laboratory