LLTI Archives

March 2000, Week 5

From:
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 08:50:03 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Daniel Tom <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: Daniel Tom <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum   <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5572.8 Teaching loads (!)
>Date:  Thu, 30 Mar 2000 16:53:02 -1000

------------------
I've been reading with interest the replies to the inquiry on teaching
loads for language lab administrators.  I noticed that quite a few of the
respondents did not list what institution they were at and it was not
possible to guess from their e-mail addresses.  It would be helpful if the
respondents would identify what institution they are at and whether it is
a public or private institution.  I think that would help put things into
perspective.

I am not the language lab director here at the University of Hawaii and we
have not had a permanent lab director since our former director retired in
1995.  I think the University of Hawaii is unique in that it has a
category called APT (Administrative, Professional and Technical).  Our
former director was in this category (I am as well) and although he came
from the faculty ranks was not considered faculty when he became the lab
director.  He did not have any teaching load.  He had equal status with a
department chairman.  The university has a 2 year language requirement for
graduation of all majors except engineering who managed to exempt their
students from the requirement.

Daniel Tom
Language Telecommunications, Resource & Learning Center
University of Hawaii
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]
FAX:     808-956-5134
Voice:   808-956-5118