LLTI Archives

March 2000, Week 5

From:
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 08:18:39 EST
--- Forwarded Message from adaer <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 09:30:12 -0500
>Sender: adaer <[log in to unmask]>
>From: adaer <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: #5572 Teaching loads

------------------
Hi Rachida

I teach 6 credits per semester and 3 in the second summer session.  My
contract is for 12 months.

All students are required to take 2 semesters of FL unless they test out, so
we have about 1500 students taking FL courses each spring and fall.  Now that
we are beginning to digitize our materials and the computers in the lab has
made usage of the lab go up 48% over last year, I'm trying to negotiate more
release time and/or higher salary.  (Just think, I had to negotiate a teaching
reduction from 9 credits to 6 only 4 years ago!  Two of my predecessors had
quit for this very reason, so they were finally getting the message.)

Becky Adae

>===== Original Message From Language Learning and Technology International
Information Forum              <[log in to unmask]> =====
>--- Forwarded Message from "Primov, Rachida S" <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
>>From: "Primov, Rachida S" <[log in to unmask]>
>>To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
>>Subject: Teaching loads
>>Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 12:56:44 -0500
>
>Dear colleagues,
>
>I am trying to provide my Dean with an accurate idea of how much teaching
>the average language lab administrator does yearly.
>
>Could some of you tell me what you regular teaching load, if any, is during
>each year.  I need to know if you teach one, two, three, ... courses per
>year or if you do not have teaching responsibilities.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Rachida Primov
>The Eleonore Graves Tripp Foreign Languages Laboratory, Director
>University of Miami
>Phone: (305) 284-4858 X 8-7228
>Fax: (305) 284-2225

Rebecca Adae
Language Lab Coordinator
State University of New York at New Paltz
75 S. Manheim Blvd., New Paltz, NY 12561-2440 USA
914.257.3609  (fax)914.257.3608