LLTI Archives

March 2000, Week 5

From:
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 08:18:41 EST
--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] ---

>From: [log in to unmask]
>Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 11:25:43 -0500
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re:  #5569 Moving a Lab

In addition to the networking consideration Otmar addressed, I would
add that logistically you should think of how/whether you will be
expected to provide lab services during the renovations. Not only
during the scheduled renovation period, but in case the renovations
drag on longer than expected.  Contingencies plans are a must!
Letting your users know what to expect during renovations is a
good policy.

Another thing to consider, if feasible, is to have as much of the
packing and unpacking done by "local" staff and/or students rather
than outside companies. You may not remember this as an advantage
from your student days at BU, but I sure do! It saves money but
more to the point it saves aggravation when you need to have
things organized a certain way.

It also helps to have an inventory. I've known departments to "lose"
equipment while it is in storage. Keep track of what comes out of
your room!

best,
bruce