LLTI Archives

March 2000, Week 5

From:
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 08:18:56 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Ed Dente <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------
On Tue, 28 Mar 2000, LLTI-Editor wrote:

> --- Forwarded Message from "Polly LYNN" <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
> >From: "Polly LYNN" <[log in to unmask]>
> >To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"    <[log in to unmask]>
> >Subject: Re:      Re: #5561.4 Italian (!) (now German vs. Chi/Jp)
> >Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 12:33:02 -0600
>
> ------------------
> You asked, "Is German really taught in more places that Chinese or Japanese
> or
> Russian?
> Just curious."
> Ed
>
> Dear Ed,
>
> If this is a serious question, here is a serious answer for St. Louis.  Yes
> German is taught quite a bit more than Japanese and Chinese.  I think German
> is bigger here than on the coasts because the Midwest had so many German
> immigrants in the late 19th c.  We have fewer Asian immigrants than say the
> west coast and New York City.  Nevertheless, here are our numbers.

Yes, it was serious, although as soon as I wrote it I realized that the
midwest would have a far greater German enrollment than, for example, the
east, or, perhaps, other regions would. Our Japanese and Chinese
enrollments here are very close to German although German is still
slightly in the lead, but WELL behind Spanish and French). My guess is
that some (if not many) high schools in the area don't offer German any
more.
It would be great to see other regional or national figures - and my guess
is that we will. I think our New England slant is very different from the
midwest.
Ed