LLTI Archives

March 2000, Week 5

From:
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 08:50:19 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Tracy N. Dingess" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Tracy N. Dingess" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"    <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Lab Tracking Software and Procedures
>Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 10:23:35 -0500

------------------
Duh!

So it only took me a week to think of this one.  Thanks you guys for all the
info on tracking and management software.  I have a new one along that line
for you.

My Department (Foreign Languages) has not been charging students for their
printer use in the open access lab.  Consequently, students are using more
and more paper to print non-assignment materials and personal email
messages, etc. from our lab.  I have been instructed to begin charging for
all print services in this lab.  Printing in our smart classroom will remain
no-charge.

Could anyone give me guidelines on how to setup the charges, how to best
manage the incoming nickels, dimes and quarters, how to handle making change
for the dollar bills?  I think this in going to turn into a nightmare
myself.

I could purchase a small lockbox to install (fasten to the desk) at the
attendants station near the door, but know that box will have to be opened
many times a day to make change, so why bother putting a drop slot in the
top?

I could purchase another lockbox to keep in the inner office (secure
location) so the closing attendant can remove the cash from the lab and
store it in the inner office box until it can be turned over to the office
manager the next morning.

This is the super simple version.  What can I do that would be better, more
efficient, less prone to invite a student or attendant with an empty pocket
to try stealing cash, etc . . . ?

I don't like the idea of having cash in the lab at all, but it is not my
decision.

Tracy.