LLTI Archives

March 2000, Week 5

From:
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 08:50:12 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Linda Jones <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 13:34:22 -0600 (CST)
>From: Linda Jones <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Languages for Visually Impaired

Hi all,

There is a student at our University who is visually impaired and does not
read braille due to problems with diabetes.  With that in mind, she is
very interested in learning the Spanish language.  We are trying to
determine how to go about teaching her since she will be unable to write
the information or read the information with braille.  One thought by some
was to let her speak her assignments into the computer.  However, those
voice capturing programs are not reliable, not even for native speakers.
So, her language learning strategies are limited to listening and
speaking (speaking probably into a cassette for her assignments).

Have any of you worked with students who were visually impaired?  If so,
how were you able to help them out?

Thanks!

Linda Jones
Director, Language Learning Center