LLTI Archives

March 2000, Week 4

From:
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 10:46:36 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Bob Peckham <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 13:27:20 -0600 (CST)
>From: Bob Peckham <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Napster abuses (TBob)

We have been having some big problems with our main server
http://www.utm.edu , which is often barely, sometimes not at all
accessible from off campus, via other ISPs on even directly on an ethernet
connestion.  Our access is split.  We have a T1 Ed.Net  to the labs and
other stricly educational computers (includung our Globe-Gate server and
our FMC server.  Then, the main server and the students in the dorms and
student appartments (we are 40% residential) are on a Qwest T1.

The computer center folks claim that our access problems are being created
by student abuse in downloading MP3 files and digitized movies using
Napster and iMesh programs.  If you don't close these down completely
after use, I understand that they make your computer a kind of conveyor or
assistant to their servers in the music and movie download business.  This
clogs the pipe.  Our Globe-Gate and FMC servers are more accessible
because they are on the Ed.Net pipe.  If this is all true, what should be
done to remedy the situation...or should we just nuke the place and start
over?

TBob

Bob Peckham
Director, The Globe-Gate Project